Thursday, August 7, 2008

popcorn oh no!

my kids LOVE popcorn for a snack and we LOVE the buttery organic Orville brand. okay well i decided i really need to eliminate my microwave OVERusage but i was astonished to find that the bags contain teflon. so i guess my options now are the old fashioned way which laura swears is as good or there is this one (still microwaving but no teflon or plastic). i will try the stove top method and then i may need to invest in this one:

"Results of a study by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) published in October reveal that compounds known to break down into the suspected carcinogen PFOA (perfluorooctanoic acid) may be served up to millions of unwitting consumers in bags of microwave popcorn. The family treat could account for more than 20% of the average PFOA levels now measured in the blood of U.S. residents. "

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's very interesting that you are looking for alternatives to microwaving popcorn because I clearly remember as a little kid my mom using a popcorn maker that she plugged in vs. putting on the stove. I wonder if they make a modern version of the popcorn machine? I'll have to look into that!

tinysprouts.com said...

I have to get you a whirley pop! so fun and it so fits our homes because it is old-school!

Amanda said...

check out my blog, I put some popcorn makers on there!