Monday, November 17, 2008

"fish" food for thought


as grace and i watched "finding nemo" today, i realized why this movie is one of my all time favorites. it is as if the movie was written for me as a parent guidebook. i, so often, want to shelter my children from harm and have to find balance to let them enjoy life--i often even say i want to "put them in a bubble." i truly am happiest when we are all together--snuggled up in bed or simply sitting at the dinner table talking. i hope to encourage my children to take safe risks as my parents have always taught us in life. todd and i never stay stagnant, so why would i expect any less from my children...however, i do worry. but the lessons taught by marlin, dory, and nemo are some of the best ones i know of.
marlin: "the water's going down. it's half empty!!!"
dory: "hmmm...i'd say it's half full."
nemo: dad, you can let go now."
marlin: "sorry...now go have an adventure."
dory: "he says it's time to let go. everything's going to be all right."
marlin: "how do you know? how do you know something bad isn't going to happen?"
dory: "i don't!"
and my favorite:
marlin: "i promised i'd never let anything happen to him."
dory" "hmmmm, that's a funny thing to promise."
marlin: "what?"
dory: "well, you can't never let anything happen to him. then nothing would ever happen to him."

0 comments: