Sunday, May 17, 2009

j-o-b

it has been 9 years since i last worked (and when i mean worked i mean performed a job that i was paid for). there have been several instances that i was asked to return to doing speech/language therapy or teaching jobs, but i never really even thought twice about declining. well, that has changed---just when i least expected it. yesterday, i received an email simply titled "opportunity." the body of the letter, written by an acquaintance of mine that i knew from the kids school and since grace has attended some of her mommy and me classes, read that i needed to call her yesterday to hear of an idea she had for me. i called, ready to listen, but equally as ready to politely decline any offer as i love being completely and entirely able to not "work" and focus on my kids and family. this was a bit different. she is starting a 3-year old program at one of my favorite nature centers next year, which just so happens to be down the street from the boys' school. her schedule is very full and she offered me a position co-teaching where i would teach the class 2 mornings a week to 10 children, one of which would be grace. hmmm, a little extra money, time to be with grace, and teach my favorite aged children science!???!! well, she just called me back and she said it is all set. i am not even sure i think i completely accepted, but i guess now it is official. come september 8th, the day before my baby turns 4 years old, i will re-enter the "work force." i am not panicking at this point. i know that truly it could not be a better opportunity. so it will be a nature-based early literacy program. guess i need to start brushing up on my insects, plant names, and wildlife!! okay, i may need some moral support on this one!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for it. This exciting. Jen, you can do it. Paty

Unknown said...

Go for it... It sounds great. You should enjoy this.. Paty

Anonymous said...

Congrats Jen! That is how I went back to teaching..didn't want to leave my kids and the home front so I taught Mommy and Me with Shonda. I am still at it today.and love it.
Email me..have a ton to share with you.
love you
Bonnie